Thursday, November 16, 2017

Week 13 Story: Journey to the Stars

Ruth smiled as she watched her granddaughter, Molly, from the porch. The little girl was spinning ‘round and ‘round, alternating her gaze from the billowing fabric of her dress to the darkening sky above her.

“Ah!” exclaimed Molly, momentarily stopping her dance and swaying from dizziness. She pointed toward the sky. “The first star’s out, Grandma!”

“Oh, she’s looking lovely tonight,” said Ruth, following her granddaughter’s pointer finger to the budding light.

“She sure is,” echoed Molly. She began to spin again, but stopped. “Gosh, Grandma, I wish I could play with them.”

“With who, now?” asked Ruth.

“With the stars, Grandma!” said Molly impatiently.

The skin around Ruth’s eyes creased as she broke into a grin. “You know, Molly,” she said, “you sound just like me when I was your age. I wanted to play with the stars, too. And you know what?”

“What? What?”

“I did!” said Ruth proudly.

Molly stared at her with wide eyes full of wonder. She looked up at the stars, and they seemed so impossibly far away. But if Grandma had done it…

She climbed up onto the porch. “Tell me how, Grandma, tell me!” she squealed excitedly.

“Alright, honey,” said Ruth, chuckling. “I’ll tell you, but don’t go getting any ideas, now!”

After Molly promised that she certainly wouldn’t get any ideas, Ruth began her tale.



“As I said, when I was your age, all I wanted was to play with the stars. My parents brought home all sorts of little toys for me, but the excitement always wore off so quickly. But the draw of the stars: that never wore off for me! I’d talk about it constantly, and every evening I’d greet the stars as they came out to see me. But, as you know, they were too far to play with me.

“I’d talk and talk about meeting the stars, and of course no one thought it was possible. They all said, ‘You silly girl, Ruth, you’ll never meet the stars!’

“Now, I got tired of that talk very quickly. So I went off on my own. That’s right, I ran away to look for the stars!”

Molly gasped and broke into a peal of giggles.

“What did I tell you about not getting any ideas, Molly?” said Ruth sternly, before laughing along with her granddaughter.

“Well, anyway, I ran away, and I decided to ask everyone and everything I came across to tell me how to get to the stars. First I came across a pond, and I asked her if she knew where the stars were. She said that they would shine right there on her surface every night. So I went in and swam around, but I couldn’t find anything. You know, the science education wasn’t what it is now, and we didn’t know about reflection.”

“Grandma, that’s silly!” exclaimed Molly. “Ponds don’t talk!”

“Oh, you’d be surprised, honey,” said Ruth with a wink. She continued, “Then, I found a brooklet. He sang very nicely and was very kind to me, and he also said that the stars shone in his water each night. So I swam around the brooklet, too, but I didn’t find the stars there.

“I was feeling quite disappointed by now, but I still felt hopeful that I could find my playmates. So I kept walking until I came to the most beautiful meadow I had ever seen. It was filled to the brim with colorful flowers and butterflies. But as I got closer, I saw that there weren’t any flowers or butterflies at all, but tons and tons of fairies!”

“Fairies?” said Molly softly. “Everybody says those aren’t real! Were there really fairies, Grandma?”

“Child, don’t tell me you can believe in playing stars and talking ponds but not in fairies! Where do you think all the magic comes from?” said Ruth. “Well, the fairies told me that if I danced with them I might see the stars shining on the grass, but I danced until I was dizzy and sweaty and the stars never came out to greet me. So I sat right there in the meadow and cried ‘til my eyes were sore.

“But then, I heard the most beautiful song I had ever witnessed, and I realized that the fairies were singing. They were trying to help me! And I saw a great big golden staircase come down from the sky. I climbed and climbed all night, and when I got to the top, there were the stars. We danced and sang and spun around together, and when I started to miss my parents, they helped me get home.”


She looked out at the sky, which was quite dark now except for the constellations. “But that journey home is a story for another night,” she said mysteriously. Molly nodded and looked toward the sky, smiling. Although she had promised her grandma that she wouldn’t get any ideas, she had gotten a lot of ideas.


Author's Note: This story is based on "The Stars in the Sky," a British fairy tale. In the original story, a young girl goes out to find the stars so that she can play with them. She meets a milldam, a brooklet, and the "Good Folk" (whom I imagined as fairies), but can't find the stars. The Good Folk tell her a riddle, and she eventually is carried by a horse and a fish to a staircase with no steps. She climbs and climbs, but never finds the stars, and she eventually falls and finds herself back at home, where she weeps bitterly. I simplified the plot by taking out the horse and fish, and I changed the ending so that the girl met her goal, because I didn't see any reason for her not to! I decided to have the girl tell the story in old age, looking back, and I thought that an excited, star-obsessed granddaughter would be a great audience for her.

Image Information: Grandma telling story. Source: Pixabay.

Bibliography: "The Stars in the Sky" from More English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs. Link to the reading online.

3 comments:

  1. Sally, this was such a cute story! You can definitely feel the love in the relationship between grandparent and granddaughter. The picture that you chose is well placed as it serves for a nice break into the grandmother's tale. The only thing that I would suggest would be to capitalize words like "Pond" so that your personification of them comes off even more strongly. Good job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally!
    This story was just lovely, and so beautifully told. I really liked your decision to let the girl meet her goal and dance with the stars. Life can be disappointing enough, we need stories that end with dreams achieved. Your dialogue was great and I think that including it added a nice depth to the relationship between the storyteller and her grandchild. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Sally!
    First of all I absolutely love what you did with this story. Although I did not read the original, from your author's note I can tell that I like your rendition of this story more. It just seems so magical that the girl really did get to meet the stars. and a possible ending where the child never dances with the stars seems so disappointing! Also, I adore how you told the story from the Grandmother's perspective. This just gave the story such a lovely tone. Great work!

    ReplyDelete