Friday, December 1, 2017

Learning Challenge: Mindfulness and Attention

For this week's learning challenge, I read an article from the New York Times called "The Power of Concentration." I have been hearing about the benefits of mindfulness and meditation since high school, but this article is one of the more convincing cases I've seen for the practice of mindfulness. The author was able to convince me of the fruits of mindfulness through her citation and explanation of multiple studies that show a wide variety of practical benefits from mindfulness. I often think, "It sounds nice and calming to sit and focus on one thing, but would I really gain anything from it besides a few moments of peace?" While I'd have to look at the studies myself to be completely sure, this article did a lot to convince me to at least pay more attention to mindfulness.

The fact that surprised me most is that mindfulness can create better connectivity in the brain area whose deficiency is linked with Alzheimer's disease. I wonder how mindfulness compares with other activities such as reading or learning math in terms of creating these connections in the brain. I don't know whether mindfulness would be the best activity, but it is definitely good news that such a relaxing activity could actually improve mental health.

"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." 
Photo of East Greenland by Kitty Terwolbeck.
Source: Flickr.

This article has made me curious to know exactly what the lessons are in these mindfulness classes that the studies employ. I plan on doing more research and reading about what mindfulness activities garner the benefits cited in the article. Focusing on breathing? Simply avoiding multitasking? Going on walks and focusing on the physical sensations, sights, and sounds? I doubt all mindfulness and meditation activities are equal, so I'm curious about what I can do to gain the benefits discussed.

Finally, I like that the author, while noting mindfulness's roots in Eastern religion and spirituality, also uses the secular figure of Sherlock Holmes to illustrate mindfulness. I tend to be a bit skeptical about spiritual and religious claims, so I like that mindfulness can be separated from these things while still recognizing and respecting the history behind it.

2 comments:

  1. Sally, I am so glad you liked this article! And I am guessing you would really like this brand-new book from Daniel Goleman and Richard Davidson (both of them scientists and also long-term practitioners of meditation): Altered Traits. I had eagerly been awaiting this book and read it immediately when it came out; it's excellent, and so well-written too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'll put it on my to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete